Friday, February 25, 2011

Homemade Peanut/Flax Butter


Well...I must say that homemade peanut butter is the... 






 

So if you'd like to see the easy recipe to see for yourself, then here it is:

12-16 oz of shelled roasted peanuts ( I chose to get unsalted/roasted in shell, and shelled them myself)
I wanted an anti-oxidant boost in mine, so I added 3 Tablespoons of toasted organic flax seeds.  It also adds a little texture to the finished product.

After you've shelled the peanuts, you will need to process them in a food processor.  This may take a while.  I processed mine for about 5 minutes.  It may take up to 10.  If you feel that your processed peanuts look way too dry or they are not smoothing out any, you may need to add up to a Tablespoon of either Canola, Safflower, or Peanut Oil.  This will unbind things a bit.  I will say to add sparingly, as it will make the Peanut Butter runny if you add too much.

I do not add salt or sweetener to mine, however I have seen several recipes where people have added honey, sugar, splenda, or even agave nectar.  This is your choice completely. 

I think after we've eaten all the peanut butter, I will be making some almond butter next...YUM YUM!

Oh another variation is to add cacao nibs, carob, or chocolate to it making it similar to Nutella.  I will also be trying that very soon also. 

Anywho.  It's gonna be a great weekend!  Spring is right around the corner!  This also means that baseball is in the air!  Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment